Liguria is an Italian region with ordinary statute in North-Western Italy of 1 509 117 inhabitants; Genoa is its capital. It is bordered to the South by the Ligurian Sea, to the West it borders with France, to the North with Piedmont and Emilia-Romagna and to the South-East with Tuscany. The region is part of the Alps-Mediterranean Euroregion.
The borders of the current administrative region were reached in 1859-1860, when the provinces of Genoa and Porto Maurizio arrived to an extent similar to that of the present region.
The term “Liguria” was established only during the contemporary age: until the whole of the 18th century and for most of the 19th century, the name used to indicate the territory of the maritime republic was “Genoese”, and its inhabitants called themselves ” Genoese “. Liguria, on the other hand, until that time was a word of the erudite language, and was used to indicate a region of the Roman era, larger than present-day Liguria, of which today’s region with capital Genoa constituted only a part.
Administrative area of Liguria, which since 1815 has been part of the Kingdom of Sardinia, also included the County of Nice, later ceded to France following the Treaty of Turin of 24 March 1860 with the exception of the districts of Sanremo and Porto Maurizio, which entered to be part of the Kingdom of Italy.According to a commonplace, Liguria would be squeezed between the sea and the mountain ranges of the Alps and the Apennines: consequently the region could be reduced to two coastal strips, east and west of Genoa : the Riviera di Ponente and the Riviera di Levante. Some marginal areas of the “physical” Liguria territory are exempt from an administrative criterion, which for historical-political reasons belong to other regional or state administrations; this is the case of the medium and high Val Roia and the high valleys of the Pennavaira and Neva streams (with the villages of Alto, Caprauna and Cerisola Oltregiogo in the province of Alessandria is historically and linguistically linked to Liguria with Novi Ligure, Ovada, Arquata Scrivia which includes part of the Orba, Lemme, Scrivia, Borbera and Spinti valleys. The Oltregiogo was part of the Republic of Genoa until 1797, then of the Ligurian Republic until 1805 and after the restoration of the Province of Novi, part of the Genoa Division. It was annexed to Piedmont after the Rattazzi decree of 1859. The island of Capraia was part of Liguria until 1925 and of the Archdiocese of Genoa until 1977.
Liguria is a region of great tourist attraction for its anthropic and natural beauties, among which – to the west – the Riviera dei Fiori – to the east – Portofino, the Cinque Terre and Porto Venere.